Friday, March 2, 2012

Consequences of Bulimia

I am heading back home today for a very quick one day visit. My family is throwing my middle son a birthday party. I have spent all day cleaning and packing. I still have to fit in my schoolwork, get ready for date night and load up the car to head out! I won't have the time to blog about my day today, but will catch you up soon! I found a really good website that shows exactly what my mind struggles with on a daily basis! It worded it perfectly!! Except for the very last one, I have never done that and I owe that to Jesus because I was saved the whole time of this disease. So thankful the Legal Consequence does not describe me! YAY! 1 down .........

A Summary of the Cognitive, Emotional and Social Consequences of Bulimia

Cognitive Consequences

  • Focus on food and eating
  • Loss of interest in other activities
  • Distorted beliefs about food, eating, body shape and size
- Denial
- Minimisation
- Blaming            
- Diversion
- Intellectualisation
- Dichotomous thinking
- Personalization
- Overgeneralisation
- Magical thinking
  • Passing on unrealistic/distorted attitudes and beliefs about food to children
  • Poor concentration
  • Memory problems
  • Difficulty in comprehending
  • Difficulty making decisions

Emotional Consequences

  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Irritability
  • Shame
  • Guilt
  • Embarrassment
  • Hopelessness
  • Fear of being discovered
  • Disgust
  • Low Self-esteem
  • Feeling out of control

Social Consequences

  • Isolation 
  • Secrecy
  • Interpersonal mistrust
  • Decreased sexual interest

Financial Consequences

  • Spending large amounts of money or buying binge foods and laxatives

Legal Consequences

  • Getting caught shoplifting food, laxatives or other things

References
Bulik, C., Sullivan, P., Carter, F., Joyce, P., & McIntosh, V. (1993). Cognitive Therapy Therapist Manual for the treatment of Bulimia Nervosa. University of Canterbury, New Zealand.

http://www.eatingdisorders.org.nz/index.php?id=756 (that is the website I found if you want to look at other diseases or information that may help you or others you love). 



Those of you who know me can probably check off many of these and give full examples on how I have shown these characteristics! I am outing myself completely because how am I gonna get better if I don't start attacking each and everyone of these consequences head on with scripture and God! Not to mention prayer warriors, friends and family! I am thankful for the prayer and support!

Be in prayer for me this weekend it will be difficult. My family loves me and will support me but I am scared to face them after I revealed my inner most secret. They have done nothing wrong. I love them dearly, its just my own shame and guilt. And the secret I kept from them for so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment