Monday, April 2, 2012

Diversion

Today was a great and fun day! We celebrated my twins 11th birthday! I can not believe how much they have grown up. I sat back to reflect on their lives and I am in awe of what God is doing with the sweeties that he has blessed me to raise. Just feeling blessed today! This may sound weird but it actually made me wanna hit the topic of diversion. Another type of consequence.

Diversion means:
1. The act or an instance of diverting or turning aside; deviation.
2. Something that distracts the mind and relaxes or entertains.
3. A maneuver that draws the attention of an opponent away from a planned point of action

I believe with all my heart that I use my children sometimes as a diversion to keep me from having to do a lot of social things. It can be my safe haven. When times feel overwhelming or trying.. I start to hide away in my home. No one sees me here. I can be me. I can do what I want and feel the way I want and there is no worries ever. My children distract my mind on a continual basis. For example: Every Thursday we go to choir practice and then I do Zumba. I love singing and I love dancing (even though I do not do them well). I just didn't want to get out that day. I was enjoying my laziness and wanted an excuse to not go. I also knew I just didn't eat well or drink the right amount of water to do Zumba. Anyway my son has really bad allergies and to me he looked pitiful. His eyes were swollen and itchy looking. So I asked him if he would like to stay home with momma and just relax and get better. He looked at me like I was crazy! He was not going to miss out on hanging at church and with his friends. Well there went my thought out diversion! Stink! If I don't go it would be just because I am lazy. I don't want to lie to people on why I wasn't there, so it looks like I need to get up and just go! I knew that it was important for me to stay committed to both those things I enjoy doing. And when I get there I am glad I went. But I struggle with my mind on attending and doing a lot of things!!! These moments come more often than I like.

I know as a mother my children should be on my mind a lot and it should be because of the way that I raise them as Godly beings. But it sometimes can be more of a distraction or a diversion.

This is a consequence that I need to really work on. Another example is this blog. I can easily be drawn away from it and not focus on writing it. I make excuses why I don't have the time or that it doesn't really matter. But that is just another mind battle I face. The thing I am learning through this blog process is breaking down each consequence and putting examples out that show me that I use them in a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. I do have issues that I need to work on. I can take them on as long as I give them to God and go straight to his scriptures to find healing.  It is helping me fight it when it happens.

The devil doesn't like it because I am now taking ownership of my disease and the consequences I face. I am human and fail and don't always let God have it 100%. And I can definitely tell the difference when I do.

I have to include some passages that I found encouraging to help me get pass this diversion curse I seem to trap myself in a lot!

1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Psalm 119:15 ESV

I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.

Philippians 4:8 ESV 

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.


No comments:

Post a Comment