Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Determination

I have been dwelling on a word that was said to me many days ago. I started researching this word and trying to grasp a better understanding of it. The reason being is because I have used this word so many times yet the results of it was never the same as the one who told me. Its not about getting this individuals results, (not why I am fixated on it) , but having that word said with meaning is what I desire. I am sure you want to know what this word is and it will probably surprise you. I have no doubts most are like me and use this word so loosely without really understanding the real definition of it. I am excited about what I have learned about it and have the faith that when I finally say it, the meaning will be exactly what it is!!

OK so what is this word? DETERMINATION

I know for myself I have said it millions of times! I am determined to do this, I am determined to do that, I am determined to show this person this, or I am determined to make this goal met. But what happens 90% of the time after we say this word? It starts out great right? For a couple weeks its strong and great but then it slowly fades. It is rare that it can make it to a couple months. But then it wears off and the determination fades. The excuses come and the ups and downs of life detour us away from our so called "determination" status.

Determination means: the act of deciding definitely and firmly. It is DEFINITE and needs to be a FIRM decision. 


When you say your determined to do something then there should be nothing to detour you from it. If you are determined to reach others for Christ through a ministry, then NOTHING should detour you from it. If you are determined to pray, study the word and have a quiet time with the Lord, then NOTHING should detour you from it. If you are determined to be set apart from this world and have others see nothing but Jesus through you, then NOTHING should detour you from it. If you are determined to live a healthy life, exercise, and honor your body as God wants you to, then NOTHING should detour you from it. 


Yes life will throw us obstacles, and we will take some tumbles but the firm and definite decision that we have made will encourage us to be stronger in that decision. Satan is going to attack you at your weakest moments! I know that sometimes Jesus allows us to get to our lowest points sometimes but when we do, we find Him in all the answers to our problems. His determination, love and hope for us gives us an awesome boost to rise up out of that weakness. We must understand that the devil will attack us while we are down there and we need to keep in our hearts and mind that if we allow that detour to overtake us then our "determination" was not a heartfelt decision. And he will prevail over our victory. We will get back to our ways and feel the empty void we started with. 


Determination is a very strong and powerful word. It is a word I now see in a totally new light and will never take this word lightly again. My desire and prayer is that this word will help change my life in the positive way it is suppose to. I am forever grateful to the one who mentioned this word to me!


Dear Heavenly Father, 
I want to thank you so much for dying on the cross for my sins and everyone else sin. I pray Lord that you give me the desire and passion to have "determination" in everything that I do. Help me when I fall at my weak moments to know that you are still there and I need to seek you and take that moment and channel it as a lesson. Help me to never forget while things are going great that it is only because of your will and determination of me that it is. Help those reading this blog, get a better understanding of this word and that it isn't used as loosely as we have. I thank you and praise you for everything that you are!! In your precious and Holy Name, Amen. 


What the bible says about determination: 

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 ESV

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

2 Timothy 4:7 ESV 

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith

Romans 12:1-2 ESV /

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.


An example of someone who had "determination"

Ruth 1:16-18 ESV 

But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.” And when Naomi saw that she was determined to go with her, she said no more.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment